Five o’clock.. snack time! These spicy cashew nuts are simple, quick to make, not specifically unhealthy and super delicious, with a glass of wine or G&T at five! And, the ingredients you need to make these nuts, one usually has always in the house. Yes, you can buy spicy roasted and salted cashews, but if you make them yourself they taste so much better!
300 gram raw cashews*
1 tablespoon course sea salt
1 teaspoon paprika powder
1/2 teaspoon chilli or cayenne pepper
sesame oil (or if you don’t have use olive oil)
*This snack is also great with raw almonds, just do exactly the same but change the cashews for almonds to try
You can make this delicious pre-dinner snack two ways; in a frying pan or on a baking tray in the oven.
Frying pan method
1. Mix together the sea salt, paprika powder and chilli or cayenne pepper. You can use the mortar as I did but without it will also work.
2. Heat some olive or sesame oil over medium heat in a frying pan and add the nuts. Fry for about 5-8 minutes (don’t walk away! They burn easily) and toss them every now and then to make sure all sides are golden brown. When they start to smell they are ready.
3. Take of the heat, shortly put them on a plate covered with kitchen paper to get rid of too much oil, then place in a bowl and add the salt-paprika-pepper mixture. Toss around and make sure all nuts are evenly covered. Allow to cool a bit.
1. Preheat the oven to 200° Celsius. Mix together the sea salt, paprika powder and chilli or cayenne pepper. You can use the mortar as I did but without it will also work.
2. Place the nuts on a baking tray in the oven and roast for about 8-10 minutes in the preheated oven. Toss and stir them around every now and then and wait until they are golden brown and start to smell. Keep a good eye on them from 6-7 minutes because they burn easily. When they are done place them in a bowl.
3. Add about a table spoon of oil on the nuts and stir them so they are evenly covered. Sprinkle with the salt-paprika-pepper mixture and stir again. Allow to cool a bit and serve on room temperature.
Take a bowl of your home roasted and seasoned nuts with a beer, G&T or glass of wine and… Relax!
horeca-meisje. houdt van goed eten en fijne wijn, Zuid-Afrika, fotograferen, wielrennen, hardlopen, boeken, knisperende haardvuren, buiten in de natuur zijn en stukjes schrijven. Romantiseert het leven, soms iets te veel - maar het is dan tenminste nooit saai.